Hosting a server
From Exterminatus Manual
Source has 2 kinds of game servers:
- Listen Servers, where you can play on the host machine (LAN servers by default)
- Dedicated servers, where you do not play on the host machine and are (Internet servers by default)
- Start "Exterminatus" as normal
- Click "Create Server" from the menu
- Pick a map and click "Start"
- Join a team
To make your server visible on the Internet you need to Enable the console then
- Open the console (~ key by default)
- type into the console "sv_lan 0"
- type into the console "changelevel ex_mapname" (where ex_mapname is the name of an installed map)
Your server make take some time to appear in the server browser, so it's recommended that you get your player to connect to your server's IP address using the "connect ipaddress" console command. You can use a service like "what's my IP" (google it) to find out your IP addresss.
There are two ways to run a Dedicated server, with and without being logged into a steam account. Unfortunately both require used of the windows command line.
Dedicated Server with Account
- Log into steam
- Switch to the "Tools" tab
- Install "Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server"
- Copy your steamapps/sourcemods/ex folder into steamapps/common/Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server/
- Open a Command Prompt and change directory to your steamapps/common/Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server/ folder
- Run srcds.exe with the command line arguments "-console -condebug -steam -game ex +sv_pure 1 +map ex_hive"
I Recommand you use a batch or command file like this one to handle the last two steps.
C: CD "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server" srcds.exe -console -condebug -steam -game ex_alpha -maxplayers 16 +sv_pure 1 +map ex_hive
Dedicated Server without Account
This is an advanced topic and requires knowledge of the windows command line.
- Download http://www.steampowered.com/downloads/hldsupdatetool.exe (this is the installer for a tool that performs Steam like tasks on machines without Steam installed)
- Run the installer on your host machine, taking particular note of where it is installed to
- Open the windows command prompt (Start->Run "Cmd.exe")
- Change directory to where hldsupdatetool was installed (yes the tool has the same file name as it's installer)
- Run the following command:
hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game orangebox -dir "dirname"
Where dirname is the path where you want the server installed. The tool should now download all the files it needs for the server. You should now end up with a dirname/orangebox/scrds.exe
- Install EX to dirname/orangebox/
- Start srcds.exe
- Pick "Exterminatus" from the Game list
- Make any other setting changes
- Click "Start Server" (if you encounter warnings about missing files you may have to move the HL2 folder from dirname to dirname/orangebox )
You can run srcds without the windows interface at step seven by using the command line arguments found at: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Command_Line_Options#Source_Dedicated_Server
Notice: If you use the command line arguments you have to supply a starting map, using the command "+map ex_digsite".